Here are five ways to soothe a mosquito bite:
- Apply ice to the bite. This should immediately help to numb the area and remove any need to itch.
- Antihistamine products are also a helpful way to remove any itching. Be mindful that some can cause drowsiness.
- Calamine lotion is a traditional topical lotion that eases itchiness and smooths irritation. Traditionally, it is used for chicken pox and ailments such as poison ivy, but it is also great for insect bites.
- Rub a bar of soap over the itch. Ivory soap is preferred and the relief is said to be immediate. You can place the dry bar of soap directly on the skin or wet it lightly and rub it over the area.
- Baking soda or Epsom salts added to a small amount of water and applied to the area are also said to assist in relieving the itch.
Mosquito bites are generally not dangerous unless you have an allergy, but if you do notice symptoms of a serious reaction, which include swelling or wheezing, see a doctor right away.
If you’re getting bitten by sea lice instead, here’s how to treat sea lice stings.