Making dog treats can be a fun activity for your children. There are also many benefits to making your own natural treats, as many mass-produced products are high in salt, preservatives and gelatin, which can be harmful to certain breeds.
When you make your own treats, you control what goes into the recipe, ensuring your pet is getting a nutritious and wholesome snack. You can also tailor your dog treat recipes to your dog’s taste preferences. So as well as being good for Fido, your homemade treats offer some variety to mass-produced snacks.
Here are three recipes to try.
Leftovers trail mix
Combine any of the following leftovers from your refrigerator to create a flavour-filled trail mix to pack for a dog park snack.
- Pieces of meat (if seasoned, make sure to rinse off any flavouring)
- Sweet potatoes
- Vegetables (no onions)
- Fruit (no grapes or raisins)
- Cut ingredients into 1-2cm thick pieces
- Spray lightly with cooking spray
- Place in a food dehydrator or into a 100 degree celsius preheated oven until dried
Pack them in a zip-lock sandwich bag and take them with you when you next go for a walk.
Basic dog biscuits
These basic biscuits can be customised to cater to your pooch’s palate.
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour (substitute oat flour if your dog is sensitive to wheat)
- 1 tsp salt (or less)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp beef or chicken bouillon granules (can substitute beef or chicken broth/stock)
- ½ cup hot water
- Optional: add shredded carrots, liver powder, shredded cheese or bacon bits to your dog’s taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water
- Add remaining ingredients
- Knead dough until it forms a ball (approximately 3 minutes)
- Roll dough until 1-2cm thick
- Cut into slices or bone shapes – you can buy bone shaped cookie cutters
- Place dough pieces on lightly greased baking sheet
- Cook for 30 minutes
Frozen peanut butter yogurt dog treats
The perfect snack to cool your pet down after a vigorous play session.
- 1kg vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup peanut butter
- Melt the peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl
- Combine the yogurt and melted peanut butter
- Pour the mixture into cupcake papers
- Place in the freezer