By Barry Green
Mahindra is claiming its new W6 petrol engine variant positions the Indian automotive make’s XUV500 SUV as the best value seven-seater on the Australian market.
The front-wheel-drive (FWD) W6 is the entry level to a model range that also includes two W8 variants – one, front-wheel-drive and the other, all-wheel-drive (AWD) – all powered by Mahindra’s 2.2-litre, 103kW/320Nm mHawk four-cylinder engine. Common across the range is a six-speed Aisin automatic transmission.
Starting from $25,990 (driveaway), the W6 features:
• Walk-thru access to the third-row seating
• ISOFIX child restraints on all three second-row seats
• Four rear reverse parking sensors
• Dual air-conditioning front and rear
• Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
• Centre console bin cooler
• Six-inch LCD screen with DAB/CD/mp3 player with four speakers + two tweeters
• Height and lumbar adjustable driver’s seat
• Conversation mirror (for keeping an eye on the kids)
• Static bending projection headlights with daylight running lamps and headlamp levelling
• Front and rear fog lamps
• Follow-me-home lights
• Rain-sensing windscreen wipers
• Multifunction steering wheel with cruise control + audio controls
• Rear door mechanical child lock
• Class-leading braked tow capacity of 2.5 tonne
• Cargo capacity of 702 litres.
The FWD W8 ($29,990 driveaway) and AWD W8 ($32,990 driveaway) also boasts:
• Electric folding outdoor rear vision mirrors
• Seven-inch colour TFT screen with satellite navigation and reverse camera
• Leather seats
• Rear tailgate LED camping light.
Factory accessories include:
• Side steps
• Stainless steel nudge bar
• Illuminated scuff plates
• Rain visors
• Plastic boot tub liner
• Tow bar pack rated at 2.5-tonne*
• Roof rack
• Headlight covers.
(* Required to achieve 2.5-tonne braked towing capacity).
Pricing includes a five-year/100 000km limited warranty with five-year roadside assistance and three-year capped price servicing.
Look for a road test of the new petrol-engined Mahindra XUV500 soon in racqliving.com.au/motoring.