Story: Kerry Heaney
I have never received a diamond encrusted Wonder Woman cape, but as a daughter and a mother there are times when I have really deserved one.
While grand gestures are guaranteed to make mum feel good, the Mother’s Day presents I treasure most are the home-made cards and hand-written notes in sometimes nearly illegible writing. I have a box filled with them, marking my children’s progress through the years.
Make memories rather than presents your priority for Mother’s Day this year, and give your family a mental treasure chest to cherish forever.
Here are some suggestions:
• Just you and mum? Go out and get your hair done together. It shows dedication if you’re a guy.
• Take a flower arranging class together.
The only thing better than getting a bouquet of flowers is making your own.
• Schedule a visit to your nearest vineyard for a day of wine tasting.
• Bake something together, then eat it.
• Find your mum’s favourite movie and watch it together while indulging in her favourite snacks.
• If your mum struggles with technology, set up her laptop, internet or other device and show her how to use it.
• Start a new herb or flower garden for her.
• While in the garden, help out with weeding or watering.
• Take a weekend trip to a farmers’ market and stock up on goodies.
• Create a book with your family photos.
• Collate your mum’s favourite family recipes, or the ones that have been passed down through the generations, and bind them together with photos and family stories from the past.
• Come up with all the reasons why you love your mum and handwrite them on scraps of coloured paper. Roll them up and put them in a jar.
• Let mum enjoy a sleep-in while you and the rest of the family pitch in to make a delicious brunch.
• Set up a cocktail bar and invite the whole family over for a get-together. Share memories over a few cocktails.
• Throw a garden tea party to honour your mother, complete with fancy finger sandwiches.
• Go strawberry picking at local farm or orchard with the whole family.
• Give mum a day off from everything – cooking, cleaning and errands – and treat her to breakfast in bed.
• Create some much-deserved “me time” for your mother by booking her a manicure or massage.
• Organise a weekly cleaning service to give mum a much-deserved break.
Add something extra to mum’s special day with fresh flowers from Petals Florist Network. Save 20 percent on flowers hand-delivered Australia-wide and around the world.
Enjoy panoramic, 360° views of the Brisbane River, city and surrounding mountains after hiking to the top of an iconic landmark on a two-hour Story Bridge Adventure Climb.
Save up to 15 percent at leading retailers Australia-wide, including JB Hi-Fi, Woolworths, Lorna Jane and Endota Spa, with RACQ’s eGift Card Wallet.
Relax and take in spectacular views 60 metres above Brisbane in one of the 42 fully-enclosed, climate-controlled capsules on the Wheel of Brisbane.