Imagine tender fish flakes with a touch of chilli caramel.
Chef Richard Hope’s recipe for a whole baked chilli caramel fish that combines Asian flavours to will have you asking for more of this moist meal of delicious seafood.
Select any fish over two kilograms in size to serve four to six people and cook it in an upright position for about 25 minutes. If the fish is smaller, reduce the cooking time.
- Large whole fish over 2kg
- Butter for cooking
- 100g butter
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the chilli caramel
- 50g sugar
- 50ml water
- 20ml fish sauce
- 20ml lime juice
- 1x chilli sliced in rounds
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Allow sugar to melt and bring to a boil. Let the mixture caramelise and wait for it to turn light amber in colour.
- Add fish sauce, lime juice and chilli.
- Combine the butter with lemon and salt and pepper, and then rub over the outside and inside of the fish.
- Baste the fish inside and outside with chilli caramel.
- Cook at 200 degrees in an oven. Your cooking time depends on the size of the fish. A 2kg fish will take around 25 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with wedges of lemon and any leftover chilli caramel as a sauce.