Your trusty blender has made you smoothie after smoothie, but it can do so much more.
To get the most out of your blender while keeping your health in mind, try these guilt-free, tasty, and quick recipes to mix up your blender’s morning routine.
‘Nutella’ at Home
For baking that requires minimal clean up with maximum taste, try these healthy banana oatmeal muffins you can quickly mix up in time for morning tea.
- 2 cups oats
- 2 large very ripe bananas*
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Up to 1/2 cup your choice of mix-ins; for example, chocolate chips, nuts, cranberries, blueberries, etc
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees and lightly grease or line a standard muffin tin.
- In your blender or food processor, place all ingredients except for the mix-ins (these get stirred into the batter at the very end). Process on high, stopping to scrape down ingredients as needed. Mix until the batter is smooth and the oats are almost broken down completely – this can take 3-5 minutes of blending.
- Add the mix-ins to the batter and fold in lightly by hand. If the mixture is warm from blending, you may end up with a few lightly melted chocolate chips.
- Divide batter into the lined muffin tins, filling each cup up to ¾ of the way. Feel free to sprinkle on a few extra nuts, berries or chocolate bits on top before baking.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the tops are set and a toothpick once inserted comes out clean.
- Set out on a rack to cool for 10-15 minutes, and enjoy.
*If you’re short a few very ripe bananas, pop the whole banana, unpeeled, on a baking tray in the oven for a few minutes. The heat will soften the banana and give your muffins that extra flavour and moisture.